Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Thomas" songs-Paul songs



I decided to share some songs that I think remind me of Thomas by Paul with the Beatles and Paul as a solo artist. This isn't a complete list, but these are some of the songs I thought reminded me of him.



"I Will": This was the first of many songs Paul wrote for his first wife and soulmate, Linda McCartney. The couple were not yet married, but according to the book, A Hard Day's Write, Paul wrote it in anticipation of Linda's arrival in London to stay with him, whereas before, they had only seen each other for brief periods, as she lived in New York. I feel that the beginnings of their love story is similar to how my current situation is. I live in Hawaii, and Thomas lives in London.



"Two of Us": Another song by Paul for Linda, inspired by her laid-back, casual personality, a contrast to the uptight, go-all-the-time lifestyle he was used to, dominated by schedules and recording sessions. While I'm not entirely laid-back, I do think I am a lot different than the girls he is used to. When you see pictures of him at events with his mother and sister, they all look very dressed up, and you can tell his sister has an eye for good fashion. He also used to be in a relationship with a model. I on the other hand, have a more casual style of dressing, and prefer focusing on reading and studying, and the like, rather than on my clothes.



"I'm Looking Through You": Paul wrote this song as a message to Jane Asher, his girlfriend at the time. Their relationship is troubled as she puts her career as an actress ahead of their relationship. He seems to have been initially happy with her somewhat taking the lead and introducing him to London's social circles. In the song, he describes how she's changed and become a different person, a reflection of their troubled relationship. While I don't know much about Thomas's relationship with his former girlfriend, I believe she was a little too much for him to handle, as he was shy, while she was a little too outgoing.



"Every Night": This could be a reflection of Thomas's lifestyle. He has a busy life, and he goes to parties and premieres some nights, and maybe other nights might be spent with friends.



"Maybe I'm Amazed": This is one of my favorite songs written for Linda. Composed when the Beatles were disintegrating, and Paul went through a tough period when he wouldn't work, it expresses his thanks for Linda being there to help him get through that time. I would do the same for Thomas.


"In Spite of All the Danger": This song is a somewhat special "Thomas song", as it was featured in the film Nowhere Boy, in which he played young Paul, though he didn't sing or play guitar on the actual recording on the soundtrack. However, he is shown "singing" along to the song in the clip below.

No comments:

Post a Comment